The rules contained on this page only cover this specific game, please review the MSEL General Competition Rules for information covering all official tournaments.
No additional anti-cheat is required for official matches.
2. Match Procedure
2.1. Series Lengths
Matches as a four-race series in the regular season, playoffs, and finals
2.2. Game Lobby
Match lobbies will be hosted in the tournament mode by the home team, who will share the tournament code with the away team.
- Online Play
- Create a Tournament
- Mode 150CC Race
- Teams: Team Game
- Items: Normal Items
- Round Time: N/A
- COM: Normal COM
- Vehicles: All Vehicles
- Smart Steering: No Smart Steering
- Time Settings
- Frequency: Fixed Period
- Start Date: Set to the Day of the Race
- Start Time: Set to the Time of the Race
- End Date: Set to the Day of the Race
- End Time: 2 Hours After the Start Time
- Race Count: 4 Races
- Group Shuffling: Don't Shuffle
- Player Rating: Any Rating
- Public/Private: Code Required
- Create a Tournament
2.3 Team Names
The home team creating the lobby will need to set the names for the two teams participating in the match. Each team name should be either the club's name or the school's name.
- The Home Team will be the Red Team
- The Away Team will be the Blue Team.
2.4 Computer-Controlled Racers
All team races are played as a 6v6 setting, the game will fill the missing player slots with racers controlled by the computer.
3. Tournament Rules
3.1. Game Connections
All players taking part in Generation Esports tournaments are required to have a Nintendo Account for the tournament they’re participating in connected to their Generation Esports account in the form of a game connection. All game connection information shown on a team’s roster must match with the accounts in game. Players using different accounts or those not officially on the roster are prohibited from playing in matches. Only one account connection is allowed per game, the use of alternate accounts is prohibited. All account connections are prohibited from being changed after the team has participated in its first match of a tournament’s regular season.
If a player’s name does not match what is shown on their roster, please reach out to a MSEL Administrator through the live chat service for assistance while the game is still being played. Name discrepancy reports will not be accepted after a match has been completed.
3.2. Match Streaming
At the moment there is no ability for a third party to spectate private matches.
3.3. Playoff Qualification
Teams must compete in and complete 75% of their Regular Season matches in order to be considered for playoff qualification. Teams who do not meet this requirement will be removed from qualification consideration regardless of their final record.
3.3.1. Unplayed Matches
Any match or queue that a team misses or does not complete will result in the match being counted as a loss against the team's record at the end of the regular season.
3.4. Playoff Qualification Tiebreakers
The tiebreaker system will be run as a tiered protocol that will be used if multiple teams finish the regular season with the same overall record.
- Wins. (Forfeit wins and bye wins are scored as a full series undefeated win)
- Head-to-head record. (If the two tied teams have played each other, their match record against each other is compared)
- Overall game win percentage. (e.g. winning a match 3-0 is better than 3-2)
- Higher opponents’ game win percentage. (e.g. it is better to beat an opponent who consistently won 3-0 than 3-2)
- Fewer forfeit losses.
- Fewer bye wins.
- The team which had a higher number of wins before their first loss.
- If the first loss is received after the same number of wins, then the team which lost to the stronger opponent (as defined by game win percentage) will be ranked higher.
There are currently no restrictions in place.
5. Team Rosters
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe team rosters require a minimum of 4 players, and a maximum of 8 players (4 starters and 4 substitute players). Rosters that do not meet or exceed the required number of players will not be allowed to participate in official matches until their roster size meets the set requirements. Player substitutions are prohibited once the races series has started.
Licensed by Nintendo