Skip to main content
Counter-Strike 2 Game Overview
Developer: Hidden Path Ent. & Valve
Publisher: Valve (separate Steam account required)
Genre: First-Person Shooter (FPS)
Rating: M for Mature
- Counter-Strike 2 (CS2) is a round-based, 5v5 tactical FPS with an Attackers vs. Defenders setup and no respawns, meaning if a player is eliminated they will not respawn until the next round.
- The game is available to download from the STEAM Games Client.
- This is the 5th entry in the Counter-Strike series and has consistently stood the test of time as a Tier 1 esport along with the likes of League of Legends and DOTA 2.
- The “Bomb Defusal” mode is the standard and accepted game mode for CS2 competition.
- Attackers attempt to plant a bomb at one of two sites. Defenders will try to stop them before planting or defuse the bomb if planted.
Rounds will end when:
- Attackers successfully plant and explode an objective site
- Defenders defuse the planted bomb
- All members of a team are fully eliminated
- The first team to win 13 rounds will win the game, or "map" in a best-of series.
- In-between rounds, players can purchase weapons, items/utility, and armor using in-game “cash”. The amount of earned cash depends on previous round performance.
- Below is a more in-depth look at the items and mechanics present in CS:GO
- There are a total of 34 weapons in CS2 involving Knives, Pistols, SMGs, Assault Rifles, Snipers, Shotguns, LMGs, and Grenades.
- The between-round segments of a game are referred to as “buy rounds”. This is when players will purchase better weapons/equipment using their in-game cash.
- “Economy” refers to the management of in-game cash earned through completing rounds and an individual’s performance in those rounds. Players and teams will need to communicate and strategize how much money they’re spending to best gain an advantage against their opponents.
- Audio and sound awareness is vital to an individual and team’s success and gaining information on enemy positions. In CS2, a patient player who moves quietly will always have the tactical upper hand over someone who plays fast and loud.
You will find a guide on how to build a custom match for CS2 HERE.
View our Console & PC Overview HERE.
- View PC Minimum System requirements HERE.