Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: April 2017
Rating: E for Everyone
Mario Kart 101
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (MK8) consists of licensed characters from the Mario franchises, racing in different motor vehicles, collecting items to aid their standing in various video game-inspired courses.
- Each race consists of anywhere from 8 to 12 racers.
- MK8 is the 14th installment in the Mario Kart series that has consistently received praise for its crisp gameplay and fun-focused arcade nature of the races.
- While there are multiple game modes & variations, the standard 3-lap race is the competitively accepted ruleset.
- There are more than 40 playable characters, each with their own strengths and weaknesses which affect speed, acceleration, handling, etc.
- There are three different types of vehicles to choose from in MK8: Karts, Motor Bikes, and ATVs, each having its own effect on overall racer statistics.
- The various statistics that affect a racer’s performance are:
- Speed (The top speed that can be achieved)
- Acceleration (rate it takes racer to achieve top speed)
- Weight (higher weight can knock other cars around; lower acceleration)
- Handling (turning ability on land)
- Traction (higher traction leads to a better ability to stay on the course)
- Mini-Turbo (affects the duration of in-game speed boosts)
- Items are perhaps the most important factor of the moment-to-moment action in Mario Kart 8. Items include:
- Coins (speed boost for each 1 that is collected; can hold a max of 10)
- Boomerang Flower (thrown at other racers; can be thrown 3 times)
- Potted Piranha Plant (comes out of the front of the player’s vehicle and can be used to attack close-by racers; gives slight speed boost when attacking)
- Super Horn (Blocks all types of incoming projectile items w/in range)
- Banana (Dropped onto course; racers spin out if they run into it)
- Green Shell (thrown by player onto the track to potentially hit a racer)
- Red Shell (similar to green shells but will lock on to racer in front of player)
- Mushroom (gives the user a short speed boost when used)
- Golden Mushroom (unlimited speed boosts for a few seconds)
- Bob-ombs (a bomb that can be thrown and explodes on a timer)
- Blooper (shoots ink onto all other racer’s screens, obstructing vision)
- Fire Flower (user can shoot fireballs at racers for a short time)
- Star (makes user invincible and gives speed boost for a short time)
- Lightning (strikes all other racers when used, making them shrink slow down)
- Spiny Shell (Pursues the 1st Place racer; can only be blocked w/ Super Horn)
- Bullet Bill (allows user to become Bullet Bill, being automatically steered at high speed, allowing them to catch up to/surpass other racers)
- You will find a guide on how to build a custom match for Mario Kart HERE.
- View our Console & PC Overview HERE.
- Game Overviews PDF.pdf200 KB