Developer: Epic Games
Publisher: Epic Games
Platform: Playstation, Xbox, Switch, PC
Genre: 3rd-Person Battle Royale
Release Date: July 2017
Rating: T for Teen
- Fortnite is a 3rd-person (camera view is over the shoulder) “Battle Royale” game where 100 players drop onto a giant map and fight to see who will be the last one standing.
- The title features full cross-platform compatibility (players on different platforms can party up together) as well as cross-save (transfer player save data across multiple platforms).
- The most notable feature of Fortnite is its building system, which has players quickly building and editing structures of various materials in order to out-position their opponents in a fight.
- Players move around the map, picking up different weapons, healing/utility items, and scavenging for building materials in an attempt to gain an advantage over the other 99 players in the game.
- Over the course of the game, the “safe area” of the map will continuously shrink in size to due to an in-game “storm”. This forces players to eventually confront each other until there is only one competitor remaining.
- Group/party sizes can vary from solo all the way up to squads (4-player parties competing against each other; max 25 squads in a game).
- Below is a more in-depth look at the mechanics present in Fortnite:
- Weapons come in various forms such as Assault Rifles, Shotguns, Submachine Guns, Sniper Rifles, Pistols, Explosives (RPG/Grenades), etc.
- Health is factored in the amount of normal health and shield a player has. Items that restore health/shield are bandages, medkits, mushrooms, slurp juice, chug-jugs, as well as large/small shield potions, among other rotating consumables.
- Building is the ultimate factor in whether or not a player emerges with the “Victory Royale”. Players can use their starting pickaxe to knock down trees and various structures to gain wood, brick, and metal materials. These materials are used by players to quickly create structures in order to gain tactical advantages against opponents.
- Players need to balance their weaponry and hone their shooting skills while carrying sufficient healing items and gathering the needed building materials that will carry them to victory.
- Game Overviews PDF.pdf200 KB