Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
Genre: Strategy Card Game
Rating: T for Teen
- Hearthstone is an online digital collectible card game that is inspired by the lore of the popular World of Warcraft series.
- For PC, Hearthstone is available to download on the Battlenet Games Client.
- While Hearthstone is available on Macbook and mobile devices, PC is the only approved platform for competition.
- The typical match setup is a 1v1 card duel, where players can choose one of several pre-assembled basic decks or one of their own custom-made decks.
- Each hero is associated with a particular class, which determines the special cards and unique hero power available to them. Each hero has 30 health, and if reduced to zero, the hero is destroyed and the controlling player loses the game.
- Gameplay in Hearthstone is turn-based, with players taking turns to play cards from their hand to cast powerful spells, equip mighty weapons, or summon minions to do battle on their behalf.
- “Mana” is the resource used in Hearthstone to play cards and use Hero Powers (see below), each of which has a mana cost that must be paid to use it.
- Supply of mana begins at 1 and increases/refills each turn
- “Hero Powers” are special that generally cost 2 mana. Each class has its own unique hero power, which emphasizes a specific playstyle.
- “Class” is the primary determining factor of a hero’s power abilities and the most important aspect of deck selection. There are 9 classes in total.
- Deck construction is a key element to success, as players are limited to 30 cards per deck. These can be customized to suit different playstyles, for example:
- Control Decks (“long game” strategy; avoids damage in early rounds and saves mana to cast powerful spell cards in the late game)
- Aggro Decks (deals damage to opponents as quickly as possible; relies on dealing enough damage before an opponent can counter)