Developer: Riot Games
Publisher: Riot Games
Platform: PC, Mac OS
Genre: Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA)
Crossplay: No (Both PC and Mac OS use the same Riot Games client)
Rating: T for Teen (13+)
League of Legends 101
- Commonly referred to as "League", LoL involves 5v5 matches on various 3-lane maps.
- Created in 2009, League is now one of the top-tier esport titles in the world.
- Each player chooses a champion from a list of 140+. Only a single agent can be active on a team at one time.
- Competitive League matches take place on the map and mode called "Summoner's Rift".
- The objective of a team is to destroy the enemy's nexus (home base) by traversing down one of 3 lanes and defeating points referred to as "turrets".
- Each turret must be cleared in order to proceed down a lane.
- The team that destroys their opponent's nexus first will win the game.
- Players can pick from champions that fall into the following categories:
- Assassins, Fighters, Mages, Marksmen, Support, and Tanks.
- Each class has its own role to play, and players should choose their lane accordingly.
- Each legend has its own unique abilities, but all abilities in the game operate on a cool down.
- Map knowledge is essential, especially being aware of movement through mid-lane.
- "Shopkeepers" can supply items to players that will aid in their ability to achieve the end goal.